13 Oct 2017

First Line Fridays #12: Lady Jayne Disappears by Joanna Davidson Politano



I've noticed that First Line Friday posts are all I have been, well, posting for a few weeks now, with far less reviews. Maybe its because I'm not posting reviews of most of the titles I listen to as audiobooks, or that reading time is sometimes limited I seem to keep waking up late, which cuts out some of the time I would otherwise spend reading of an early morning. 
Perhaps I need to buy that LED light to stick to the shelf above my bed, instead of rolling over and going back to sleep now that the mornings have grown dark with the onset of British Autumn. 

Anyway, today I am featuring the first line of the book I am about to start reading (or more likely listening to most of on Audible), which I picked as it was set in the Victorian Period, and and I rather like this stories those with a Gothic bent or some underlying mystery.  I heard about the novel months ago, waited for it to appear on Netgalley then had to wait several days before finally being approved.


The first lines read: 

London, England 1861 
 "Well Miss Harcourt. Are you, or are you not, Nathaniel Droll?"



Happy reading and have a good weekend, untul next time. Hopefully I will get more review up in the intervening days. 
https://hoardingbooksblog.wordpress.com/tag/first-line-fridays/

10 comments:

  1. This book is seriously getting added to my TBR. I keep hearing wonderful things.

    I feel ya on the First Line Friday thing. I've noticed I haven't been sharing very many reviews lately myself. It happens. :)

    I'm featuring Lu. by Beth Troy on my blog today, but here I shall share the book I'm currently reading.

    "They rode in silence, the murmur of Alex's expensive late-model white SUV lulling Astrid into drowsiness."
    -Colors of Christmas by Olivia Newport

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved Lady Jayne Disappears! Fantastic book!

    The first line on my blog this week is from Toni Shiloh’s latest book ‘Returning Home’. I’ll share with you here a book that I just started reading last night.

    June 1811
    A London lady never sallied forth unchaperoned. Least of all to a place with the reputation of Vauxhall Gardens. — First Comes Marriage by Amanda Barratt
    The Regency Brides Collection

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a book I've read on FLF. I loved the story within a story idea. It was well done.

    I shared the first line of April McGowan's Hold the Light today.

    Here's the first line of the book I just finished reading:

    "How can I help?"
    from The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great first line! The book I'm featuring on my blog is Perfectly Matched by Maggie Brendan. However, the book I will share here is Fire and Ice by Mary Connealy. "The bullet spit dirt up in Gage Coulter's eyes, and he didn't even flinch."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just received my copy of this book this week and I am finishing up a couple for review so I can sit and enjoy this one.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great first line! I shared that last week myself and I'm getting read to start reading it today. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this one! Happy Friday!

    Wednesday,September 2, 1987

    Mike Dolan was snoring when the telephone rang. Fly Away by Lynn Austin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too keep hearing wonderful things about this novel. It's now on my TBR (thank you, NetGalley!).

    I'm reading The Engagement Plot by Krista Phillips. Here's the first line:

    Hanna Knight clicked the Power button on the radio as she inched the Dodge Ram pickup down the snow-covered highway. Embarrass, Minnesota, was only a few miles farther.

    Okay, so I had to include that second sentence because Embarrass as a place name? That's even weirder than Iola (which really is a place name: Iola, Wisconsin, and Iola, Kansas. I'll have to visit one day).

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's on my wish list. Sorry that I didn't get this posted on Friday. I want to share the first line from the first chapter instead of from the prologue: (This is a REALLY fun book to read!)

    A New Shade of Summer by Nicole Deese:

    “I jiggled the locked doorknob again and wished, not for the first time, that it was legal to use tranquilizer darts on adolescent boys.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just purchased this book, and I can't wait to read it. I've heard so many wonderful things about it. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...