5 Nov 2017

Two Short Review from Goodreads: Turn of the Century NY and Regency Smuggling


A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden
Empire State #1
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't usually read much fiction set in America, so I have not read anything written by Elizabeth Camden before. I chose this story mostly because it had a British hero.

Her writing style is lovely, the historical details were well-used, and the characters ones that the reader could care about (even if their actions seem a little inconsistent at times), and there was plenty of suspense.
So why did I not give a higher rating: I can't quite put my finger on it exactly, something just didn't click. Perhaps it was just that  I don't really identify with the setting, as I've never been to New York.
Also, I did not really care for the ending: or rather, I did not like the way that it was brought about.

I requested a copy of this title from NetGalley and listened to the Audible version of my own volition. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True As Fate by Laurie Alice Eakes
Ashford Chronicles #2 
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fair story, if a little over the top. It was exciting, and the characters not quite as annoying as in the last book. 
Still a lot of mistakes: British characters using American terms like 'gotten, someplace and 'whomever', and the general assumption that the Brits and wrong and Americans right over the War of 1812. Oh, and of course, American privateering is fine: but for Brits its bad and done because they want to take over everything. Naturally.

Worth a read, despite the stereotypes though. I don't think that the parallels between Ross Trennery a certain rakish Cornish nobleman named Ross are accidental. Not a typical Regency and an interesting sequel. Book borrowed through Amazon Kindle Unlimited, so I was not required to write a review.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed A Dangerous Legacy more than you did, but that's perhaps because I like romantic suspense. The one thing that bugged me was the use of titles. I expect Americans to not know how to address a British nobleman, but I'd expected his English colleagues to get it right.

    I've only read one book by Laurie Alice Eakes, and it had the same problems you've mentioned. I might be prepared to read something with an American setting, but she seems stuck in Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent book and I like more suspenseful stories as well. I just wasn't amazingly keen on this one.
      I don't know if it was just the setting, or something else.

      Delete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...