9 Dec 2017

First Line Fridays #16: Dragons!


I know, I know the title is inaccurate and it's actually Saturday morning. I just did not get around to the post yesterday. Today I am featuring a book a read a while back, Mercy's Prince by Katy Huth Jones which is the first in a series of 5 books set in a fictional country loosely based on 12th century Britain. It has knights, battles, romance, people that very closely resemble Scotsmen in kilts and DRAGONS! Various breeds of the beasties including cute little ones that can be kept as pets, and deadly ones which can fight with weapons like men: and legendary Great Dragons, are key to the story. 

As second son of the King of Levathia, seventeen-year-old Valerian desires the quiet life of a scholarly monk. But when he fails to save his older brother in battle, Valerian must instead become crown prince. While a traitorous knight schemes against him, Valerian meets Mercy, a pacifist Healer with whom he can speak mind-to-mind like the great dragons.
Their bond emboldens Valerian to seek out the legendary dragons and ask for their help against the monsters who killed his brother. Can Valerian survive the traitor's assassins long enough to find the dragons? And if he does, can he convince them to lay aside their hatred of humans and help him save the land from destruction?


Makes for a great story: and it turns out the chief dragon is named Albionix: which I think is an amazing name. What's more he, like most of the other Great Dragons can talk and communicate with humans: but only some humans.  Yup, shades of Eragon and Dragonheart: but with Bible verses at the beginning of each chapter, which actually work really well.  Are you getting the idea that I like dragons yet?  


The first two lines are:

"Something scaly crawled across Valerian's cheek. He started awake, shivering in his cloak where he lay curled up on the bare ground"  

 

I have four more books to go in the series: which should be utter bliss. PLUS there is an audiobook of this one, with a British narrator. Until next time, Happy reading and happy Saturday. 

https://hoardingbooksblog.wordpress.com/tag/first-line-fridays/



3 comments:

  1. Gave me the chill bumps right away!

    The first line of the book I'm currently reading is: "Who am I?" From His Forgotten Fiancee by Evelyn M. Hill

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sharing the first line from the YA Christian Dystopian novel All Things Now Living by Rondi Bauer Olson on my blog. Here I will post the first two lines from the novel I am starting next, Count Me In by Mikal Dawn:

    "The little hairs on the back of Allegra Spencer's neck stood at attention. He was behind her."

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...